Thursday, July 29, 2010

Setting aside time to create.

As someone who has a "regular" day job, I know how hard it is to find time to create.  Plus you have all the work of running/co-running a household.  It's tough sometimes to walk away from whatever I'm doing around the house to go work on jewelry, etc.  Luckily I have a supportive husband who encourages me to "go work when the creative urge strikes" me, while he finishes the chores. 

Still, that's not always enough.  So what I've started doing is setting a time that I must stop working around the house, running errands, etc.  For me, as a night owl, 11:30 pm is the cut off.  Anything after that is my RockBug time.  I usually put something on for background noise and get to it. 

I've found that it's easy to put pressure on yourself to create but it just doesn't work that way.  Some nights, I sit amongst my supplies and nothing happens.  That's ok though!  If nothing else, you've set aside time for yourself.   When you're new, as I am, you don't want your creations to feel like a chore.  I know that my work reflects it when I'm excited about working.
The above picture is a piece that I laid out and tweaked a hundred times before finishing it. 

No comments: