Friday, September 3, 2010

Learning a new basic skill

So I wanted to try my hand at some very basic wire use/wrapping a few weeks ago. Since I'd never touched jewelry wire before, I knew it would take some patience and practice. There are so many gauges (size of the wire) out there and you have to determine which size is best for what you're creating. I bought a variety of wires just to practice with. In the beginning, I won't lie, it wasn't pretty. My main problems were making loops that were consistently the same size and getting the wrappings tight enough.


I just created these earrings. You can see that I used the wire to connect the amethyst teardrops to the links. I made the loop big enough that the teardrops could still move a little.  They're quite simple but I'm very proud of them. The practice is paying off and my skills are improving.  I'm excited to see where I'll be in a few more weeks.  Learning even basic wire work is essential, in my opinion, and opens up a whole new world in jewelry making.

Also, let me say that I have a ton of respect for the very talented wire wrappers out there. A wire wrapped piece is nothing short of a work of art. I've always been impressed by what they create but now I'm totally blown away!

No comments: